Monday, February 13, 2006

Paint a picture

Had a rough start to February. Work changed drastically for me as I went from 4 weeks of closes to 4 weeks of opens with one day off in between.
I can happily say that I am entering my 2nd week of opens and I STILL haven't completely adapted. Funny when you body starts going haywire that you invert yourself and start working your brain. Not like you do enough thinking already, you need to start devoting extra time to it.... When this happens, things can start to get interesting. Ever wake up from a bad dream and wonder if that happenend? Well, if you are me, its safe to say that it did. Never to the extent of walking into an auditorium naked with a cold draft hitting you, but close enough.

There are times when I get over excited and I get carried away. Ok maybe there are more than just "times", it happens more that I would like to admit. Now think about what it would be like if you are giddy from lack of rest... :. One minute you're sitting there, the next you get the inspiration to break out into a song, or dance....Or a song AND dance (those ones always work the best). Now, picture that you are in a position of authority where you are responsible for ALL the people that are around you (excluding your colleagues). Then picture yourself having to provide leadership, feedback and coaching to these people. Needless to say I tend to over compensate in certain areas to make up for my goofiness. Don't get me wrong, I am a compassionate person when it comes to real life personal things, but when it comes to work related issues, I am a hard ass. Black and white.

I have 3 simple rules that I have imparted to all my employees throughout my management career.
  1. Do your job. You know what you need to do, I know what you need to do. So do it. Don't make me MAKE you do it. (never pretty anyway)
  2. Follow the rules. I clearly outline the rules and go over them with every team. Can't tell me you don't know the, follow them or get busted. Or for god's sakes, have a decent lookout. Its pretty bad when you can wear a BRIGHT yellow sweater and still sneak up on people.
  3. Have fun (the most important. I guarantee that if you follow rules 1, 2. Then you will have fun. I can trust you to not make me look stupid, and you can trust me to go easy on you)

Pretty simple i think. Do you think others understand these simple rules? Of course not, that would provide me with too much joy, so i get challenged and have to act. Out of the 6 colleagues i have, i am sittin gin 3rd most hated, down from first...i seem to be slipping and need to make an example of someone i think :)

just need to overdose on coffe and candy and its GAME ON...speaking of which, sens are one tonight...

2 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Blogger canadian sadie said...

you'd think that the rules were straightforward and easy to follow. You'd be wrong. Thus, so many PITAs.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger canadian sadie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home